Dad decided that we could stop in Montpelier. Its a small town nestled in the valley. Its clean and pretty and apparently they are often visited by wandering bears.. Sounds like a great place to me!! :P:P
Well I wasn't fortunate enough to see any bears today, but I did have an awesome encounter with Ray the drunken cowboy and his horse, Spooks.
I was in the middle of checking into the hotel. The guy behind the counter was having an issue with the computer, so I decided to go back outside to get my stuff out of Simone, my car, when out of nowhere I hear this low singing in the distance.
I turn and see this man dressed like an old school cowboy and riding his horse along Highway 30 in front of the hotel!! I wave and couldn't help but smile! it was like a character from the wild west era had suddenly stepped into the 21st century! spurs and all!! except this cowboy was singing along with an Ipod!! hahaha :P:P
I was about to walk back into the hotel when he saw me and trotted in my direction.
"Are you extremely busy right now?" he asked. I hesitated at first to answer, only because I have recently been slightly scolded for some of my impulsive actions and for what appears to some as a disregard for personal safety... every now and then I hear the concerned voices of some pleading with me inside my head to walk away.. But seriously, who could walk away from this Western relic on a horse????
"No, I'm not too busy at the moment.
What is it that you need?" I responded, cautiously for those who worry. :P
"I need to go inside that store over there, but I don't see a place to tie up my horse" He slowly says with a rugged North Western slur. "Do ya think ya can watch him as I go in?" he continues.
I was about to walk back into the hotel when he saw me and trotted in my direction.
"Are you extremely busy right now?" he asked. I hesitated at first to answer, only because I have recently been slightly scolded for some of my impulsive actions and for what appears to some as a disregard for personal safety... every now and then I hear the concerned voices of some pleading with me inside my head to walk away.. But seriously, who could walk away from this Western relic on a horse????
"No, I'm not too busy at the moment.
What is it that you need?" I responded, cautiously for those who worry. :P
"I need to go inside that store over there, but I don't see a place to tie up my horse" He slowly says with a rugged North Western slur. "Do ya think ya can watch him as I go in?" he continues.
"OF COURSE!!" i respond, obviously eager to pet the horse. "What is his name?"
"Spooks"
The cowboy slowly gets off. I can hear the clink of his spurs hit the pavement and smell the heaviness of his cologne mixed with alcohol. He hands me a rope that he would have used to tie Spooks up with and tells me not to give him water.. strange request since I obviously don't have any water on me. I didn't ask why, just took the rope and began talking to my new friend Spooks! He was beautiful.
I'm outside the hotel doors for at least ten minutes with a horse, People are taking pictures from their hotel windows and children are pointing at me from the backseats of their parent's cars.
The cowboy returns with a small brown paper bag and tells me with a straight face: "I ride my horse because I drink (something inaudible), you can't get a D.U.I if your riding a horse"
HA!!
The cowboy returns with a small brown paper bag and tells me with a straight face: "I ride my horse because I drink (something inaudible), you can't get a D.U.I if your riding a horse"
HA!!
From there he continues to tell me that he breaks in horses for a living and rides them in rodeos... he tells me about Spooks, who is 6 years young and full of spirit. He then introduces himself as Ray and tells me that he owes me big and the next time I come through to keep an eye out for him because he is always riding town...
I had a pretty good day with a late sleep in this morning, great weather and spectacular views during the drive, but this really made the day that more special!!
No comments:
Post a Comment