Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rain, art, BONZAI

This past Sunday was the day of my very first artist reception. The weather was terrible! Grey, raining, cold. I was worried that, because of the unwelcoming outside, no one would think to leave their warm comforting homes to show up. Can you imagine the embarrassment of being the only person at your own reception? Especially after spending so much money, time and energy to putting the show together.

Thankfully many people did show up despite the poor weather, though I am sure more would have if the sun had kindly shown itself. I saw family and friends whom I have not seen in years and met some lovely and interesting new acquaintances. I felt kinda like Cinderella at the ball. People seeking me out to ask questions about my experience in Brazil, thoughts on photography and plans for the future. Long lost friends whom I have not spoken to in years were there to show their support. My nieces were beautifully dressed and sweet as can be; using the spacious floor as a stage for dancing.

The show itself consisted of twenty three out of the twenty five framed photos were hung in a large gallery space with some beautiful stain glass windows. During lovely sunny days the light brightens the room. Long benches lined the walls and a small table with plates of crackers and fruit for patrons to snack on. The favorites seemed to be the image of beaches boats with people diving into the bay and the image of the children..

After the reception ended the majority of friends and family joined together again at Bonzai, a fantastic local Japanese restaurant. We had a party of about 18 people and must have spent at least three hours eating, laughing and having great conversations! some of the highlights from the evening were seeing one of my closest friends from New York, whom I have not seen in 8 years, arrive with a new boyfriend who was both very cool guy and perfect for her; hugging my cousins for the first time in years, my jovial nieces helping me blow out a birthday candle and hitting the gong for good luck, lots of delicious japanese food, my barefeet, and a post dinner walk through the vacant streets of Princeton late at night! Music, sculpture, rain and friends.

It was a good day thanks to everyone involved and my best friend since 5th grade Kate!

No comments: