Friday, July 10, 2009

Where I'm From!

I thought for sure that my work wasn't accepted for the "Where I'm From" exhibit in Swainsboro, GA. The notice was suppose to go out earlier this week. Like 4 days earlier! I was tempted to email the gallery and inquire if the lack of communication meant that I was correct to assume that my photos were not accepted. However I chose not to because I understand that many galleries really prefer not to have their emails and phones congested with information starved artists. I don't blame them. I have seen artists behave terribly when they learn that their work was not accepted for exhibition. Women much older than myself throwing tantrums and insults because the painting they worked on wasn't picked by a juror who is unfamiliar with their local reputation. 

But my work was accepted!!!! 

In fact TWO photos (featured below) are to be exhibited this summer! The focus of the exhibit are images taken and or created by artists based on the theme of the area they call home. The director felt that as artists we take a lot of inspiration from our environment. As soon as I saw the prospectus for the exhibit I knew that my photos from the rural abandoned houses would be perfect! I passed up applying for other art competitions so that I would have the funds to enter, print and frame the images for this show. 

I have never shipped artwork out to an out of state gallery before, but there is of course no better time to learn then the present! 


Discarded in TX (08)

A Man's Castle (09)

No comments: