Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ruins, a Texas surprise and Art

This morning I set out on an adventure to photograph the ruins of Fort Phantom Hill with my father. The fort was built by accident during the mid 1800's by a captian that had little knowledge of the area. It was actually meant to be built several miles south of its current location. All that is left of it now are three buildings still somewhat intact, two empty wells, several stone chimneys and a few piles of stones where buildings were once present. The emptiness of the place had a tranquil effect on those who explored its hidden nooks. for more information please visit www.fortphantom.org

After taking a hundred photos of hte place and its many bright yellow grasshoppers We decided to head back to Abilene to eat before heading out to the windfarm. It was midday and the sun was too bright to take the kind of photos I was hoping for. We picked up my fathers driver and headed to a huge steakhouse on the edge of town. As most would know I am usually weary about eating at steakhouses. To mu Surprise they had a real veggie burger option along with several veggie sides.. I ordered myself a salad with basil dressing, bake potato and an order of sauteed veggies (asparagus, broccoli, onion, tomatoes and zuchini). It has been at least ten hours since that meal and I am still full!! I have noticed that many of the American eateries in this town offer a a decent veggie friendly option. I did some researching on vegetarianism in this town and found an article that mentioned that an interest in vegetarianism is on the rise in the area.

After dropping off Dave, the driver, My dad then took off to visit the downtown area. The same downtown that took me over an housr to find. I wanted to see it during the day. To my pleasure we came across some very interesting and humorous scultpures along North 1st street. My favorite was of a HUGE chicken made from fabric. I am unsure to what technique was used to create the chicken using colorful fabric. I wish I did. there wal also a carrot made with tires and rims, an several painted bronze sculptures as well. Tomorrow we should be leaving this town to head back but not before I go back and explore the art some more. I can not express how pleased I am to see so much public artwork in these smaller towns. It shows that good art is not limited to New York City.

I never did get to the windfarm as planned. We left the hotel too late due to business issues and the sun was practically hidden behind a mountian when we were closer to the farm. :( Too bad. Perhaps if there is enough time I may go out there myself tomorrow and take pictures before driving back to Coleman, TX.

1 comment:

Marisa L. S. said...

I hope you come home soon! I miss my mischievous vegan!