Friday, August 21, 2009

Artist Statement

I finished and sent in my artist statement (see below) for The Center of Fine Art Photography International exhibit in Fort Collins, CO.  I wish I could actually attend the reception. It would be fantastic to meet the other artists and explore the Center itself. Also to see Fort Collins. :P

No Child Left...

As a photographer I am drawn to exploring abandoned and dilapidated environments of rural America through the lens of my camera. The decaying conditions of these modern day ruins and the mystery surrounding the personal belongings that are often left behind by the previous occupants are, for me, both intriguing and fascinating clues. As I visually investigate and try to make sense of these unfamiliar dwellings from various angles, I can’t help but make a connection between the decay and abandonment that I am seeing around me with the fragile condition of our own human existence and the societies we have created. To me these forgotten structures are struggling to still exist against harsh elements, much like how we struggle to hold nostalgic values during modern times.


No comments: