Sadly my portfolio was not accepted for the Spring Exhibit.. :(
I'm not too surprised. I knew it was gonna be extremely competitive with artists around the world entering work and that many of these artists would take advantage of the unlimited number of portfolios that they were allowed to enter at $85 each... If the entry fee was less then perhaps I could have afforded to enter an additional portfolio to up my chances of being accepted...
or then again perhaps the Juror wasn't into my photo style and it wouldn't matter if I entered 100 portfolios!
I'm looking at a few other artist competitions and trying to decide which ones are worth entering and which ones are best to ignore.. Factors that are affecting my decisions are Entry costs, locations of the gallery (transporting costs) and how high the gallery commission fee is.
A year ago the average gallery commission fee was 30%. I have noticed over the past few months that many of these same galleries have increased their fees to 40%. I don't mind paying a commission fee to the gallery. They work hard at trying to promote sales of your work and they take some of the business end of art making out of your hands so you can focus on making art..... BUT the higher fees force artists to increase the selling price of their art and most people can't afford art at this time as it is..
Later I could actually tackle this complex topic regarding gallery fees in more detail, but my basic thoughts about the subject is that art should be affordable..
No comments:
Post a Comment