Saturday, January 16, 2010

This piece will remain nameless..

For most of the past week I have been feeling a bit lazy and therefore haven't accomplished too much artistically.. I have a computer full of photos that needs better organizing and several (4 to be exact) mix media drawings to be finished!

I did manage to submit a small group of images last week from the Rural Decay series to a gallery in Australia. It was my first time entering any work for jurying outside the states... Very Exciting!!! I am considering entering more. There is not limit to the number of photos entered and te deadline is in June. The more I can send the better my chances for exhibiting. At least thats the idea :P

Last night I worked a bit more on a piece that I started over the summer. I was up until 3 am, with the company of large purring cats, cutting tea bags to be collaged and building up the tea staining around the subject. Still lots of work to be done, but I am feeling rather pleased so far with the results.

I don't want to go into the concept of the piece right now.. I'm still having a discussion with my journal about it.. Until I am ready to share the thoughts this piece shall remain nameless

Here is the full piece! You can see the cups of tea. For this piece I am using Celeste's Raspberry zinger and a loose tea I found at a Russian grocer in Brooklyn 2 years ago. Its called Forrest Fruits by a Deluxe... It has been making these lovely shades of violets and blues. I don't remember what kind of paper I am using. I bought it in a roll in NYC a few years ago.. It was cheap. Not meant for lots of wet work, but so far it has been holding up..



A detail of the face. The proportions are a little off, but I still think I managed to make it work.

Detail of one of the child flowers.. The raspberry zinger tea was used to paint the petals and the teabag was cut and collaged as the leaf. You can see the markings of the leaf beneath the teabag. I had to trace each leaf and then cut it with an xacto knife.



Gonna try and finish this piece this week and hopefully finish my portrait of Ekua before I leave for Texas next month..

2 comments:

Ekua said...

Ooo, I like the idea of tea staining and the colors are awesome in this piece!

Amber said...

Thanks!!! I hope the colors stay that way!! this was a cheap paper and the tea stains change color over time....