Its a blurry pic taken in my hotel room under some poor lighting :P but here is one part of Ekua's portrait in Daffodils!
For a long while something seemed off with the piece; and I wasn't exactly sure to what it was that I had a problem with until recently this week! It was the perfect square shape that wasn't working for me. It felt unbalanced and thus made the composition feel too tight and inorganic.
So today, in an effort to fix the problem, I took a little trip to local Home Depot and purchased another piece of wood. One of the employees then cut off a 10 inch wide section for me. As soon as I returned to my hotel room I placed the new unprimed wooden piece next to the larger piece on the left side.. Instantly the composition opened up and the portrait began to breathe!
I plan to continue a similar image of the daffodils as seen on the far right. More daffodils will be drawn in the center and later color will be added in thin washes.. I envision a combination acrylic washes with the use of color pencils and ink to create the sensation of a colorful sketch. Parts of the image, such as the drawing of Ekua herself, will remain colorless to bring focus to her as the subject and the beauty of simple pencil mark making.
1 comment:
Cool! Will my hair and face be shaded in? Lemme know if you want a copy of the original picture... I could e-mail it to you. Anyway, looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished product!
Post a Comment