Monday, December 28, 2009

Portfolio review

I have been reviewing my photos of the abandoned and isolated dwellings of rural America over and over again this past week. There is an opportunity to exhibit an entire portfolio at the Center For Fine Art Photography in Fort Collins, CO. I have already had the good luck of exhibiting one photograph at the facility last Fall and would like to try my luck again with an larger body of work..

Applying for the exhibit is going to be highly competitive. Only 15 artists will be featured for the online exhibit and of the 15 only one will have an exhibit displayed in the gallery space..

Its not an easy task to put together a cohesive body of work. As an artist I set out to photograph a series of objects, landscapes and settings that relate to a theme or concept. But to pull out only 12 images to work together in harmony is sometimes a bigger job than scouting for interesting sites to photograph..

I find myself fretting over which images work best together. Some images are great and would easily fall into my favorite folder, but I feel that they would work best as an individual piece rather than a piece of a puzzle. Meanwhile I am still trying to still show a variety of images. I don't want to focus on one state or one house. I want my selected collection to show the diversity of my entire body of work.

What I have done to help ease the frustration of the selection process was enrolling the aid of several trusted friends. I presented them with a large collection of images that I thought were my strongest (49 images total) and asked them to select which images they felt were the strongest. From there I was able to narrow my focus.

I'm still putting everything together and the deadline is tomorrow....

Wish me luck!! :P

No comments: